Sunday, February 25, 2007

And now for something completely different, the Vatican Museums!





















Just a few days ago I decided with the missus to again check out the Vatican Museums in Rome. We got there and there was a line-up which moved rather rapidly. I had been to the museum many years ago, perhaps 10, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the ticket booths had been modernised. In this age of terrorism, there are also airport-like x-ray machines that one has to pass through. The ticket is a whopping 13 euros but you do get your money’s worth in perhaps THE world’s finest museum.

I was flabbergasted by the “human wave” of people that were in the halls of the museum, and it wasn’t yet Easter or the summer period! The works of art? Simply astounding. I said to myself that if they could sell all of the artwork in the Vatican Museums one would probably be able to feed half of Africa (I hope to not sound too blasphemous but there is a slight bit of hypocrisy when the Vatican tells me that we should combat world hunger!).

Towards the end of the visit I admit that my head was spinning a wee bit, what with the heat, the large crowds, the art and the fact that I didn’t bring a bottle of water with me. By the time we got to the Sistine Chapel, what else was there to see that could possibly top off a museum visit such as this one? Absolutely nothing (all pics by M. Rimati)!

No comments: