Thursday, July 27, 2006

Never again?

A friend of mine asked me one day, “Why do you go visit all these concentration camps”? I’ve been so far to:
-Dachau (twice)
-Buchenwald
-Mauthausen (twice)
-the Risiera di San Sabba in Trieste (twice, the only Nazi-run concentration camp in Italy)
-Auschwitz-Birkenau

I go to see not only how many millions of people suffered in these place, not only to see how my uncle suffered and died in a POW near Leipzig but also to see the hypocricy of man: many of these concentration camps show pictures of how 60 years ago millions of people were displaced and had to leave their homes. In the year 2006, in the era of iPods and what not, still more people (the Lebanese) are being displaced. A “welcome” sign in the courtyard of Dachau says, “Never again”. Useless words I’d say…

No comments: